Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Top Five Songs Part 4: Pop

Ok, I have a question, can someone tell me what the hell a true "pop" song is?  I've seen everything from Metal, to rock to country on "pop" song lists.  To me it simply means cookie-cutter songs, that have a broad appeal and little depth.  They are usually forgotten quickly and replaced by more drivel.  Think about "Call Me Maybe".  Anyway, there are a few songs that appeared in this "genre" that have actually appealed to me for longer than a few seconds.  So here is my top five Pop songs.  Please help me!

#5 The Space Between by Dave Matthews Band:  I have to honest, I do not understand this song at all.  It made the list for one reason only.  The beat calms me down and helps me to visualize.  For a writer that is of utmost importance.  Just don't ask me to explain it.

#4 What It's Like by Everlast:  This song is very easy to understand.  It conjures images of hard times, and harder situations, and asks a very easy question.  The message in this song applies to us all, from the richest CEO to the poorest rural farmer and everyone in between.  Despite it's melancholy overtones, it reminds me of what I have, what I've earned and what I can stand to lose, either through my own fault or no fault of my own.  If you have a vivid enough imagination it could scare the hell out of you.

#3 When You're Gone by Avril Lavigne:  I'm not a big Avril fan, so I only found this song recently, but I immediately loved it.  The message about loss, anguish and love's triumph is powerful.  Anyone who as ever lost someone could easily relate to this song.  Just like What It's Like this song reminds me of all the blessings I have, and at the same time forces me to think about what would happen if they were suddenly taken away from me.  Once again, another song to scare the hell out of you.

#2 Time of Your Life Green Day:  I am well aware that this song has been beat to death in so many montages that it borders on absurd, but that doesn't change the fact that I still really do love it.  It's a good song to just sit and reminisce about the great times of your life.  In the end this song can put a huge smile on my face.  The older I get the more great memories I have and therefore have more to look back on with fondness.

#1 Here's to the Night by Eve 6:  If this song had been out when I was in high school, I would have bribed people to make it our class song.  This is the ultimate song to look back with especially if you are younger, about to graduate from high school or college, or getting married.  It reminds you of where you have been, but for it also reminds me of where I am going.  When one chapter of life ends, another begins.

               Those are it, it was hard for me to come up with this list, and to be honest I think I could have done better, but most Pop songs that held any special meaning for me have long been lost to me and I have unfortunately forgotten them.  I have no doubt there are others that hold a stronger meaning for me, maybe one day I will do an updated list for this.  For now though, let's move on to Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment